Swiss TPH History
The Swiss Tropical Institute was created in 1943 - in the middle of World War II. During the war, both the population at large and the political decision-makers were gripped by the fear of massive unemployment after the war had ended. To reduce the threatened shortage of jobs, the government promoted scientific programmes of academic institutions and supported the idea of a Swiss Tropical Institute. The institute combined research, training and medical service provision right from the beginning. The study of parasites and the many mosquitoes, flies or ticks transmitting malaria, African sleeping sickness or relapsing fever were at the top of the research agenda. Foundational director Rudolf Geigy shaped the course of the institute to a large extent.