As of 1 January 2021, the cantons of Basel-Landschaft and Basel-Stadt will increase their funding to Swiss TPH, bringing their yearly contribution from CHF 7.26 to CHF 8 million, divided equally between the two cantons.
"We are deeply grateful to the governments of Basel-Landschaft and Basel-Stadt for the excellent collaboration and trust that is at the root of this wonderful development," said Jürg Utzinger, Director of Swiss TPH. "We would like to sincerely thank both cantons for this important increase in core funding, which will enable us to work towards our mission to improve people's health and well-being locally, nationally and internationally."
Apart from the two cantons' contributions, Swiss TPH also receives core funding from the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) and the University of Basel, the latter through a performance agreement. Total core funding makes up only slightly more than 20% of Swiss TPH's total turnover; the remaining 80% are competitively acquired funds from research grants, courses and service mandates.
"Having to competitively acquire such a large share of our total funding is unusual for an institute like ours and puts a heavy strain on the organisation," said Utzinger. "Our aim is to increase our overall core funding, including from SERI and the University of Basel."
Taking science to impact
Swiss TPH is a world-leading institute in global health, placing particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, education and services at local, national and international levels. Over 800 people from 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions. Swiss TPH is currently involved in the fight against COVID-19 through research and services, as well as advising political decision-makers in Switzerland and abroad.
New building 'Belo Horizonte' in Allschwil
By the end of 2021, Swiss TPH employees and students will move to the new Swiss TPH headquarters, "Belo Horizonte" in Allschwill. The cantons of Basel have granted a credit guarantee for the new building, signalling much appreciated support for the sustainable future of Swiss TPH.