Leading House Africa
Swiss TPH, supported by the University of Basel, is the Leading House for bilateral research collaboration with partner institutions in Africa. Mandated by the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) in 2017, the Leading House Basel promotes and fosters scientific cooperation with key institutions in Africa for the funding period 2021-2024.
The funding instruments within the programme are open to researchers of all Swiss universities, universities of applied sciences and public research institutes.
- To improve mutual knowledge and make Switzerland better known as a prime location for education, research and innovation (ERI), by improving circulation of talents and direct cooperation between institutions.
- To support efforts by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), upon request, to strengthen its collaboration with similar partner agencies, particularly the African Academy of Sciences (AAS), the National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF), the “Fonds pour la Science, la Technologie et l'Innovation” (FONSTI) in Côte d’Ivoire and the Technology and Innovation Agency (TIA) in South Africa among others.
- To increase collaboration in the field of innovation through new or existing instruments, as a way to develop the capacities of Swiss and African ERI stakeholders and support entrepreneurship and develop instruments aiming at innovation and explore options with industry partners.
- Research and mobility grants for early, intermediate and advanced researchers
- Lectureships and prolonged research stays at African higher education institutions for Swiss research groups
- PhD graduate programme
- Academia–industry training programme, with strong institutional support from both academia and industry