Guéladio Cissé, Professor, PhD
Professional activities at Swiss TPH
- Professor and Head of the Ecosystem Health Sciences Unit;
- Head of the "Ecosystem services, climate and health" Research Group;
- Research and teaching on climate change and health, disaster risk reduction, linkages between health and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) multifaceted challenges in face of global change (particular impacts on water quality);
- Assessment of vulnerabilities and health risks at household and community levels using ecohealth approach, eco-epidemiology, health risks and impact assessments;
- Teaching activities and younger researchers supervision.
Higher education and qualifications
· 2014: Habilitation as Research Professor (Directeur de Recherche) in sanitary engineering, CAMES (Council of Higher Education for Africa and Madagascar);
· 2005: Associate Research Professor (Maître de recherche) 2005
· 2013 : Certificate of Advanced Studies on “Disaster Risk Reduction”, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland
· 1997: PhD in Sanitary Engineering (water quality, environmental epidemiology, GIS, qualitative research), EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
· 1993: MSc in Environmental Sciences (ecology, ecotoxicology, water pollution, air pollution, soil protection), EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
· 1986: Post graduate certificate in Sanitary Engineering, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland.
· 1985: Civil Engineering Diploma, INFORBA Engineering School, Rouiba, Algeria
Short courses: European Course in Tropical Epidemiology (STI, Basel, Switzerland); Epidemiology and Medical Statistics (LSHTM, London, UK); Geographical Information Systems and Public Health (Iowa University, Iowa, USA); Participatory Action Research (ENDA-GRAF, Dakar, Senegal); Water quality management and laboratory techniques (WHO & NANCIE, Nancy, France); Integrated Climate Risk Assessment (IDRC, Nairobi, Kenya) ; Gender mainstreaming in climate adaptation projects (IDRC, Naivasha, kenya).
Current and past professional positions
7/2015 - : Head of Unit, Ecosystem Health Sciences Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss TPH, Basel, Switzerland
2009 - : Project and Research Group Leader, Swiss TPH, Basel, Switzerland.
2004 -2009: Managing Director, Swiss Centre for Scientific Research in Cote d’Ivoire (CSRS), Abidjan
2001 - 2004: Deputy Director, CSRS, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire; Acting Director: July 2002 – February 2013
2001 - 2009: Regional Coordinator in JACS West Africa of the Program NCCR North South on sustainable development and global change (SNF and SDC funded program), CSRS
2000 - 2009: Group Leader of the Research Axis “Urban Environment and Health”, CSRS
1997 - 1999: Head of the Sanitary Engineering Department, EIER, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
1996 - 1999: Lecturer in sanitary engineering and environmental epidemiology, Department of Sanitary Engineering, EIER, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
1994 - 1999: Research project coordinator on Wastewater Use in Urban Agriculture in Sahelian Context, EIER.