Peter Steinmann, PhD, PD
Dr. Peter Steinmann is a trained epidemiologist and public health specialist, and holds a habilitation (Associate professorship) at the University of Basel. He has a track record of work related to neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), implementation research, access to health products, health system strengthening and public health in general in 27 countries over the last 20 years, including 4 years in P.R. China.
He is currently deputy head of unit and directly responsible for a team of experts and technical staff working in Basel, Cameroon, Chad and Mauritius. Currently, he leads a major project in NTD control and capacity building in central Africa, co-leads the Access sub-team of the EDCTP and GHIT co-funded Pediatric Praziquantel Consortium which prepares the introduction of this new drug into schistosomiasis control program routines, coordinates the Swiss TPH input to a OneHealth surveillance project across several countries in the Indian Ocean as well as the Swiss TPH team contributing as data and evaluation partner to the Urban Population Health initiative of Novartis Foundation.
His breadth of technical expertise includes NTD research and control program implementation in P.R. China, Central and South-East Asia, Africa and Brazil, public health, WASH, access to health products in resource-limited settings, health systems, data quality and surveillance, and epidemiological surveys. He has worked on mandates funded by EDCTP, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, World Health Organization, World Bank, the Global Fund, the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau KfW, the Novartis Foundation Agence Française de Développement, and GHIT.
Summary of achievements
• I have published >150 articles in the peer-reviewed literature, including >30 as first or last author of which three were published in Lancet Infectious Diseases (one with >2,000 citations).
• I have supervised four MSc and six PhD students as first- or co-supervisor
• I am regularly lecturing at University of Basel since 2015
• I have presented my work and chaired sessions at >15 national and international conferences and meetings
• I have peer-reviewed >200 manuscripts for >35 different journals
• I am regularly reviewing project and personal career grant proposals, including for ERC, NIHR, McArthur, Reckitt Global Health Institute, Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung, and others
• My work has contributed to the approval of a new drug formulation for soil-transmitted helminth control and a change in WHO guidelines for leprosy control
Richardus J.H, Tiwari A, Barth-Jaeggi T, Arif M.A, Banstola N.L, Baskota R, Blaney D, Blok D.J, Bonenberger M, Budiawan T, Cavaliero A, Gani Z, Greter H, Ignotti E, Kamara D.V, Kasang C, Manglani P.R, Mieras L, Njako B.F, Pakasi T, Pandey B.D, Saunderson P, Singh R, Smith W.C.S, Staheli R, Suriyarachchi N.D, Tin Maung A, Shwe T, van Berkel J, van Brakel W.H, Vander Plaetse B, Virmond M, Wijesinghe M.S.D, Aerts A, Steinmann P. Leprosy post-exposure prophylaxis with single-dose rifampicin (LPEP): an international feasibility programme. Lancet Glob Health. 2021;9(1):e81-e90. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30396-X
Cavaliero A, Greter H, Fürst T, Lay S, Sao Ay S, Robijn J, Steinmann P. An innovative approach to screening and chemoprophylaxis among contacts of leprosy patients in low endemic settings: experiences from Cambodia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019;13(3):e0007039. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0007039
Steinmann P, Reed S.G, Mirza F, Hollingsworth T.D, Richardus J.H. Innovative tools and approaches to end the transmission of Mycobacterium leprae. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17(9):e298-e305. DOI: 10.1016/S1473-3099
Steinmann P, Keiser J, Bos R, Tanner M, Utzinger J. Schistosomiasis and water resources development: systematic review, meta-analysis, and estimates of people at risk. Lancet Infect Dis. 2006;6(7):411-425
Member of Swiss Society of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology (SSTMP), from 01.01.2008, to 01.01.2000, Swiss Society of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology (SSTMP), Switzerland, https://www.sstmp.ch/