Doctorate and PhD Programmes
Swiss TPH offers PhD students registered at the University of Basel a broad range of research areas. Swiss TPH's academic faculty supervises PhD students in the fields of medical parasitology and infection biology, public health and epidemiology and medical anthropology.
Swiss TPH has also contributed substantially to the MD/PhD programme development through its activities with the Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+) and the University of Basel. In addition, Swiss TPH is on the board of the PhD Program Health Sciences (PPHS) of the Medical Faculty of Basel. In collaboration with ETH Zurich, the inter-university PhD programme in infection biology (IPPIB) was successfully launched in 2014.
The total number of doctoral students has steadily increased and there are currently over 180 PhD students supervised by Swiss TPH staff. Every year, around 45 young researchers from all over the world receive the doctoral title. A detailed description of all steps of undertaking a PhD can be found in the Student Handbook.
“Working and studying at Swiss TPH has allowed me to develop my skills and knowledge in public health and epidemiology through its excellent research and teaching environment. The institute's expertise and resources have enabled me to gain a deeper understanding of public health issues, while also building my confidence in professional and scientific settings.”
PhD graduate, Tuberculosis Ecology and Evolution unit
Master & PhD students from Ukraine
Process for hosting refugee Master and PhD students from Ukraine: https://www.unibas.ch/en/News-Events/Ukraine.html
PhD Study Areas
Swiss TPH PhD students are accepted and registered in a range of PhD study areas (Promotionsfächer) offered by University Basel.
- The Faculty of Science offers PhDs in the field of microbiology, zoology, cell biology and epidemiology.
- The Faculty of Medicine offers several PhD studies related in particular in the fields of clinical research, epidemiology/public health and drug development.
- The Interdisciplinary PhD in Epidemiology is open for students from a variety of disciplines.
- The Seminar of Social Anthropology (Faculty of Arts and Humanities) offers PhD studies in the field of Medical Anthropology.
Structured PhD Programmes
Although not required, many Swiss TPH PhD students profit from the additional enrollment in a structured PhD programmes. Most of these programmes are organized externally. Rules, requirements and benefits – such as access to free courses and other fundings – vary across programmes. All have though in common that apart of the 12 ECTS of course work required from all PhD students at Uni Basel, additional ECTS must be achieved.
- How to Apply
- PhD in Epidemiology, Public Health and Insurance Medicine
- PhD Regulation of the Faculty of Science (Promotionsordnung)
- PhD Guidelines (Faculty of Science)
- PhD Regulation of the Medical Faculty (Promotionsordnung)
- Course Directory (Vorlesungsverzeichnis)
- Swiss TPH Seminars
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars
- SSPH+ Global PhD Fellowship Program in Public Health Sciences
Training Certifiacte of the IGS North-South
Apart from the structured programs, some Swiss TPH PhD students may enroll in the 12-ECTS training certificate of the International Graduate School (IGS) North-South
Courses and Seasonal Schools
Our PhD students can profit from many courses and seasonal schools, offered by any of the above mentioned programs, by the Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+) partners, by University Basel or by many other providers. PhD students and supervisors discuss together the course work to be done during the PhD studies. While those need to be in line with the rules of University Basel or the additional structured PhD programs, supervisors tailor the schedule to the needs of the students. PhD students should also train transferable skills which are – among others – offered by University Basel.