Head of Unit
Peter Steinmann is head of the Diseases and Programmes unit. He holds a PhD and habilitation (Associate professorship) in epidemiology and has a track record of work related to neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), implementation research, health system strengthening and public health in general in various countries across Africa, Asia and Brazil. His technical expertise includes NTD research and control program implementation, public health, WASH, access to health products in resource-limited settings, health systems, data quality and surveillance, and epidemiological surveys. He co-leads the WHO Collaborating Centre for Epidemiology and Control of Helminth Infections, and represents Swiss TPH in the Swiss Alliance against NTDs. He is responsible for a diverse portfolio and team of experts and technical staff working at headquarters and several project offices. Important donors and clients include EDCTP, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, World Health Organization, World Bank, Global Fund, Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau KfW, Novartis Foundation and GHIT.
Summary of achievements
• I have published >150 articles in the peer-reviewed literature, including >30 as first or last author of which three were published in Lancet Infectious Diseases (one with >2,000 citations).
• I have supervised four MSc and six PhD students as first- or co-supervisor
• I am regularly lecturing at University of Basel since 2015
• I have presented my work and chaired sessions at >15 national and international conferences and meetings
• I have peer-reviewed >200 manuscripts for >35 different journals
• I am regularly reviewing project and personal career grant proposals, including for ERC, NIHR, McArthur, Reckitt Global Health Institute, Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung, and others
• My work has contributed to the approval of a new drug formulation for soil-transmitted helminth control and a change in WHO guidelines for leprosy control
Selected PublicationsAll Publications
Richardus J.H, Tiwari A, Barth-Jaeggi T, Arif M.A, Banstola N.L, Baskota R, Blaney D, Blok D.J, Bonenberger M, Budiawan T, Cavaliero A, Gani Z, Greter H, Ignotti E, Kamara D.V, Kasang C, Manglani P.R, Mieras L, Njako B.F, Pakasi T, Pandey B.D, Saunderson P, Singh R, Smith W.C.S, Staheli R, Suriyarachchi N.D, Tin Maung A, Shwe T, van Berkel J, van Brakel W.H, Vander Plaetse B, Virmond M, Wijesinghe M.S.D, Aerts A, Steinmann P. Leprosy post-exposure prophylaxis with single-dose rifampicin (LPEP): an international feasibility programme. Lancet Glob Health. 2021;9(1):e81-e90. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30396-X
Cavaliero A, Greter H, Fürst T, Lay S, Sao Ay S, Robijn J, Steinmann P. An innovative approach to screening and chemoprophylaxis among contacts of leprosy patients in low endemic settings: experiences from Cambodia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019;13(3):e0007039. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0007039
Steinmann P, Reed S.G, Mirza F, Hollingsworth T.D, Richardus J.H. Innovative tools and approaches to end the transmission of Mycobacterium leprae. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17(9):e298-e305. DOI: 10.1016/S1473-3099
Steinmann P, Keiser J, Bos R, Tanner M, Utzinger J. Schistosomiasis and water resources development: systematic review, meta-analysis, and estimates of people at risk. Lancet Infect Dis. 2006;6(7):411-425
Member of Swiss Society of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology (SSTMP), from 01.01.2008, to 01.01.2000, Swiss Society of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology (SSTMP), Switzerland, https://www.sstmp.ch/